Friday, August 17, 2007

random things that Shanghai has that Taipei doesn't

I think it's a little unfair that these places have not opened up shop in Taipei. Plus I didn't get a chance to eat at any of these places, only shop. While we were taken to some really great local eats, I have no idea where any of them were since they didn't have signs, were off in little alleys and didn't have any business cards to grab on the way out.

Dairy Queen
Papa John's Pizza
Krispy Kreme
California Pizza Kitchen
H & M
Zara

I know, completely random, but I lost my camera last weekend and am too devasted to write anything meaningful. I have been taking a few pictures with my camera phone, but as you know, it's just not the same. Also, I LOST MY CAMERA! Argh. I guess it's an excuse to take a look at the Nikon D40 I've been hearing about or just replacing my Canon. BOO HOO.

After visiting China, I've come to realize that maybe I'm not such a good tourist. I've become comfortable with Taipei so I know how things work even though I didn't grow up there- where my favorite places to eat are or at least what the different areas of Taipei are , how to tell if your cabbie is crazy or not, what the subway stops look like and generally where they are, where the major malls are, how to convert NT to US$ without doing too much math and if I don't know where to look online!

But in China, I'm confused all over again. The local dialects are a lot more work to comprehend, trying to convert 7RMB to 1US$ is a lot harder than converting NT$s, I have no idea where public transportation is or what restaurant is good or not, and even the rumored American places like Krispy Kreme, I have no idea where to find them. Sometimes I don't even get to look at the menu, since someone else is usually ordering or has already ordered. I'm sure with time comes familiarity, but life is easier when you have someone who knows where they are going help you out.

So my apologies for not sharing any dazzling photos or juicy descriptions of the variations of stir-fried river shrimp with vinegar, crackling skins of beijing duck, or sticky sweet braised pork and bean curds "red braised" in a large red ceramic pot that we seemed to be eating at every restaurant.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Joan,
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your camera. What a bummer! Hope you're getting less disoriented the longer you're staying in China. Didn't see any of the food places you mentioned, while in Shanghai, but I think there's an H&M store inside the Super Brand Mall across from the Bund, and there's also a pretty good Thai restaurant called Banana Leaf inside the mall, where Thai entertainers come to your table and invite you to dance. I did "Dancing Queen" with a guy dressed as a cop. Surprised we didn't do YMCA. Hang in there, and hope the eating's still good, at least!

Emily said...

Sorry to hear about your camera. That really stinks.

Man, I really wish Taipei had an H&M. I'm actually back in the States for a short visit, and I can't wait to hit up our H&M here!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Shanghai!

Ron Wu said...

Sorry about your camera. Nikon D40X has very good low light picture quality. It will be good for the type of photos you take. I own many Nikon cameras but the one I carry with me all the time is a Panasonic LX1 - (now the LX2)

joanh said...

Jane: thanks for the comment. mm Thai! I will have to hang out more around the Bund next time.

emily: yeah. :( have fun in the states!

ron: i will have to see if i can play around with any.

mocaEssence said...

hi~

I love your blog! I'm from Taiwan, but have been living in the States for many years. All the food you are recommending are making want to take a trip back! Are you from Taiwan? Or you just live there?

-Wenny

:)