Sunday, May 03, 2009

brunch/italian: i recommend HSIANG THE BRUNCH



HSIANG THE BRUNCH
No. 18, Ln 236, Dunhua S Rd Sec 1
(02) 8771-8258

hours: weekdays 10 AM - 10:30 PM; weekends 8 AM - 9 PM

$$

Kid friendliness: no high chairs spotted

Visit reviewed: 2/3/2009



Every so often, I get to have lunch with my girlfriends.. Sometimes it's a new place that they are introducing to me like Tripod King spicy hot pot ("mala huo guo") or Shan Xi Dao Xiao Mian (thanks Jenny!). On this day, we passed by this cute looking shop and decided to give it a try. Even though my friends and I ended up at a place named for its brunch, all but one of us ordered pasta. And we were pleasantly surprised.



My camera ran out of batteries, so all these photos are from my iPhone.

The Spaghetti with beef short rib in spicy tomato sauce (NT$400) had a nice chili kick to the great tomato sauce and the beef was tender and plentiful.



Other hits at the table were spicy chicken leg pasta and Risotto with clams and scallop in white wine sauce (NT$380).



The owner definitely kept in mind the interior, decorating it stylishly with various types of seating, chairs and sofa seats, vivid purple walls and lots of window light. It's a perfect place for ladies who lunch or an afternoon tea, yet not too girly-girl for couples or families. A bunch of guys lunching here, I don't know.



You can make your pasta a combo with garlic bread, soup and dessert, but I was not impressed enough with their fruit/tart dessert to repeat that.



The pancakes seemed appropriately fluffy (though kind of weirdly served with a small green salad) and their brunch is served all day. So next time you're craving omelettes or pancakes (or pasta!), you can give Hsiang the Brunch a try.



My friend said she had tried the location in Tienmu which had cute presentation for their brunch, but the portions were smaller than she expected for the price. I'm not sure if it's the same in both locations. Anyone tried the breakfast/brunch there?

other location:
No. 8, Ln 50, Tianmu East Road
Tianmu, Taipei
(02) 2872-5851
CLOSED 2011


View Larger Map


View Larger Map

3 comments:

EatTravelEat said...

Wow...this place looks great! The presentations are very nice and you can definitely tell they put some thought into the plating. The spaghetti, pasta, and risotto look delicious. I want some now.

I agree though, pancakes with salad seems a bit weird! I wonder why. Maybe they want you to eat your veggies :)?

ing.blot. said...

I saw your post on this, and I went to the one in Tienmu to check it out. When I went there though, I found out that it was no longer there. Instead, it has become a dog shop. So the one in Tienmu no longer exists, thought you would like to know so you could mark it on your "Closed" list.

Unknown said...

Hey, just to let you know, the Tianmu location of this store closed a while ago :/

:)