Thursday, April 11, 2013

snapshot/mexican: i recommend MACHO TACOS's California fries



Get your forks ready. California fries are a rare find in Taipei, maybe even for most of Asia. For those of you who don't know what Cali fries are, they are like nachos but with fries instead of chips. Carne asada (or in this case, carnitas), pico de gallo, cheese, and a dollop of fresh guacamole piled atop seasoned, crispy fries. Meat and potatoes!


It's one of the pricier things on Macho's menu, but it's a huge portion. It was too much for me as one person (shared with my friend) and definitely on the heavier side (or damn have I been living in Taiwan too long?). Some might nitpick and compare it to the version back home, wanting more meat, more guac or fresh cheese instead of the saucy kind, but it was enough for me, and people, this is going to be as close as you're going to get for awhile (unless Dos Chinos decides to try to get in on it)! California Burritos are available too (yup, burritos stuffed with fries), as well as chimichangas and mini churros since my last review.


6 comments:

Epic Thread said...

Mmm, these look delicious!

Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love Macho Taco's quesadillas! :)

Gemma
www.taipeistreetstyle.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but there is no address for this post??!

joanh said...

Epic thread- thanks! They were pretty tasty Jillian

Taipei Style/ Gemma- me too! Thanks fr commenting

Anonymous- hi! You can click on the link to the last review included in the post or I've included it for you here.. There are two locations.

No. 3, Lane 126, Yanji St., (02) 2731-4489
No. 15 Pucheng St, (02) 2363-7518, machotacos.com

hank li said...

They've really improved over time and the California burrito, with the fries and nacho cheese, has just about stopped my craving for SF Mission District burritos. They've also perfected how to wrap burritos. Maybe Juanita has given them a run for the money. Both places are pretty good now, I think.

Aurélie said...

Your blog is amazing! I just want to go and tryall the restaurants you recommend!

I live in Shida and I now some small good restaurants, maybe we could meet someday and try one? :)

:)