Sunday, June 12, 2016

my kitchen: EASY RAMEN SALAD



OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, I been addicted to making a cabbage slaw with thinly sliced cabbage, apples, carrots and peanuts (I had a bag of salted fried peanuts from Indonesia that was soooo good). Today, I actually wanted to make a tofu quinoa salad, but I ran out of quinoa at home, so I thought about a ramen salad I hadn't had since I was a kid. Chrissy Teigen even includes a version in her new cookbook called Dump and Done Ramen salad because you can mix it and leave it overnight. I remember the first time I had this salad at my friend Ellen's house in LA, I was fascinated there were instant noodles in a salad. The sweet and sour vinaigrette is very easy to make with three ingredients (four if you add a touch of salt), and if you're in the states, you can make the recipe even easier by buying a bag of pre-cut coleslaw salad or broccoli salad. Did any of you have this salad when you were a kid too? 

EASY RAMEN SALAD 
INGREDIENTS 

Salad
-1/2 cabbage, sliced thinly 
-1 carrot, shredded
- 2 bags of ramen, crumbled 
-1-2 spring onions, chopped finely 
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (I didn't have this, so I used chopped cashews instead)
- cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds
(Optional add ins- edamame, mandarin oranges, shredded chicken, tofu, sunflower seeds) 

Dressing
-1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
-1/3 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or honey (about 5 tablespoons)
- pinch of salt

1- Crumble ramen and toast ramen noodles and almonds for a few minutes. You can skip this step if you're lazy or don't have the time, but you can add the ramen later too if you want it to stay crispier. 


2- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, shredded carrots, green onions, ramen noodles, cilantro and almonds.

3- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, vinegar and oil until sugar is dissolved.

4- Pour dressing over slaw mixture and  toss. Chill 1 hour or overnight.  Toss and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.



No comments:

:)